What happens when science meets Halloween? HALLOWEEN 🎃 MARSHMALLOW SLIME! If you’re looking for a fun activity to do with the kids for Halloween, look no further. This homemade slime is perfect for loads of sensory play. And with just three ingredients, it’s also very easy to put together.
No messy disaster here! Create your own spooky batch of stretchy marshmallow slime in minutes and enjoy a fun project that involves ✨candy ✨at the same time.*Please note this project requires adult supervision at all times. This experiment is not suitable for children under 4.
Share your results with us and other readers in the comment section below! But, if cool charts and astrology aren’t your thing, don’t worry. Discover some of our favourite gummies to snack on during the fall:
TO MAKE SLIME YOU’LL NEED
- 2 small bags of our Vegan mini vanilla puffs
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil (optional, but recommended)
- A microwave safe bowl
- Pour both bags of mini vanilla marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and add 1 tbsp of oil into the bowl
- Microwave on high for 30 secs. If the marshmallows don’t melt or get puffy, heat for an additional 15 seconds. Note: The mixture will be hot, so allow to cool for a few minutes before touching or handling
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch to the heated marshmallows and mix with a spoon
- As the mixture cools, you can start kneading it and playing with it
- If the mixture is too slimy, you should another 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken the slime. The more cornstarch you add, the stiffer the slime will get
- Once the slime is cool and the consistency is to you’re liking, you can manipulate the slime with your hands!
Fun science 🧪 fact: the marshmallow expands in the microwave because when you heat it up, you also heat up water molecules within the marshmallow. The expansion of the molecules is what gives the slime the squishiness we’re looking for! Adding oil also ensures that the slime can be manipulated and less dry. Once the cornstarch is added, it makes the slime thick and stretchy.
Note: After some time, when the slime cools down, it’s going to harden. This means the slime won’t last all day or overnight.
PLAY WITH SLIME
Squeeze it, pull it apart, roll it into a ball and stretch it to your liking! To make things spookier for Halloween, you can even dye the slime with some food colouring, add plastic bugs, googly eyes and/or glitter.
LOOKING FOR MORE HALLOWEEN ACTIVITIES?
Fright and delight guests with our Halloween punch, featuring our fruity Tarantulas 🕷️. Check it out here:
If you try any of these Halloween activities, let us know by leaving a comment below.
Stay spooky! 👻